GTM has named the pursuit of health outcomes for the Traveller community Galway City and County as a strategic area of importance. GTM is committed to improving the health status of the Traveller community through the use of peer led (Traveller ) primary health care and community work approaches. Promoting and using a social determinants of health approach is key to addressing health inequalities in the areas of discrimination, accommodation, education, income/work, lifestyle and access to services.
GTM Strategic Plan 2014-2016 – Intended Health Impacts
- Health Services equipped to be more inclusive of Travellers
- Racism and discrimination which impacts negatively on Travellers in the area of health highlighted and addressed.
- Traveller employment opportunities in the area of health advanced.
- Increased Traveller participation in the area of decision making on health matters.
- Increased access to health information for Travellers in Galway City and County
- Travellers empowered to take an active part in their health outcomes.
GTM Strategic Plan 2014-2016 – Expected Health Outcomes/Results
- Travellers experience of racism and discrimination in health services recorded and the impact racism has on Travellers highlighted.
- Strong participative peer led Primary Health Care project supported and managed in Galway City and County.
- Improved mental health and well being for Travellers in Galway City and County in 3 key areas:
- Suicide prevention
- Positive emotional health and well being
- Culturally appropriate mental health services
- Increased awareness and uptake of national screening services
- Increased protection and recognition of the rights of Traveller children within the Traveller Community and Health Services
- Traveller self advocacy and empowerment facilitated
- Traveller men’s participation increased in GTM’s health work
- Traveller community empowered to make informed choices in relation to cardiovascular health. Work in this area would include information on risks such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, obesity, smoking, alcohol and drug addiction.
- The negative impact of drugs and alcohol within the Traveller community highlighted and initiatives developed
- Violence against Women as a violation of human rights highlighted and initiatives developed.