GTM has named the pursuit of accommodation outcomes for the Traveller community Galway City and County as a strategic area of importance. GTM is committed to improving the accommodation situation of the Traveller community through its membership of the Local Traveller Accommodation Consultative Committee and other interagency mechanisms calling for the provision of culturally appropriate accommodation as a right. GTM aims to achieve advances in Travellers overall health status as a result of an enhanced accommodation situation.
GTM Strategic Plan 2014-2016 – Intended Accommodation Impacts
- Racism and discrimination that impacts negatively on Traveller outcomes in the areas of culturally appropriate accommodation reduced.
- The Traveller community empowered to self advocate in relation to their accommodation issues.
- The Traveller Accommodation Plans (TAP) city and county influenced to ensure better outcomes for the Traveller community.
- Travellers economic, social and cultural rights on the agenda of local services, city and county.
GTM Strategic Plan 2014-2016 – Expected Accommodation Outcomes/Results
- Culturally appropriate accommodation called for Travellers in Galway City and County
- Participation and practice of rights methodology explored and used.
- Improved standards of accommodation for the Traveller community called for.
- Ensure Adequate resourcing of accommodation work in Galway City and County.
- Monitoring the implementation of Traveller Accommodation Programme in Galway City and County.
- Policy decisions which impact negatively on Traveller accommodation challenged.