GTM has named the pursuit of justice and rights for the Traveller community Galway City and County as a strategic area of importance. GTM is committed to eliminating structural inequality and demanding social change for the Traveller community. A radical change in strategy is imperative for the realization of Traveller rights. This strategy entails the convergence of community work and human rights based approaches.
GTM Strategic Plan 2014-2016 – Intended Justice/Rights Impacts
- Travellers experiencing discrimination and racism are empowered to address the challenges facing them.
- The Local services are aware of the impact of racism on the Traveller Community and seek to address the imbalance.
- Traveller culture and ethnicity recognized
- Equality debated at a Galway City and County level with a view to equality being mainstreamed.
GTM Strategic Plan 2014-2016 – Expected Justice/Rights Outcomes/Results
- Greater understanding of and access to legal and rights empowerment programmes for the Traveller Community in Galway City and County
- Data gathered and GTM policy position paper developed documenting the Traveller experience of racism and discrimination in Galway City and County
- Anti racism log developed and issues of Anti Traveller racism proactively challenged
- Awareness raised on Traveller Culture with the administration of the Justice Systems in Galway City and County
- Data gathered and GTM policy position paper developed looking at racism and discrimination
- Equality mainstreaming as a tool promoted and delivered to the local service providers
- The protection and the recognition of the Traveller Community as a minority ethnic group advocated for at a local, regional and national level
- Effective media and communication strategy developed.
- The social inclusion of the Roma Community in Galway City and County explored and researched with a view to developing a strategy that would break down the barriers to effective Roma participation.